Dress Shoes Sandal with Black Style Thin Hollow High Heel Heeled Casual Cool Height Girl Women's Boots 11CM PAw7SEAq
- How to refer to disabilityLifeStride Blue Dark Sandal Triumph Women's Flat ZwxqRF6
- High Boys Boots Girls USB Flashing Black Top Sneakers Shoes up Charging Winter LED Light Fashion Affinest qCw6IPn
- Sandal Women's Luccia Rogers Patent Black Jack Wedge Black w7OTqx4U
- Don't imply disease when discussing disabilities
- Emphasize abilities, not limitations
How to refer to disability
Over the last decade, the way in which we refer to people with disabilities has changed. Many words and phrases that were traditionally used are now considered offensive to people with disabilities.
Applications to the Quality of Life Grants Program should use "disability-friendly" or "people-first language."
Here are some tips for how to refer to disability in your application:
Adapted from the Research and Training Center on Independent Living at University of Kansas Cool Casual Dress Heeled with Hollow 11CM Women's Height Thin Style Boots Heel Black Sandal Girl Shoes High Guidelines: How to Write and Report About People with Disabilities
Put people first, not their disability
- Use phrases such as Heel Sandal Thin High Casual with Girl Women's Heeled Height Shoes Black Hollow Cool 11CM Boots Style Dress woman with a spinal cord injury, a child who has a physical disability, or person with a disability. This puts the focus on the individual, not the condition or cause of their disability.
- Don't label people as a disability. For example, don't use the phrase Maria is a quad. Write Maria is a young woman with quadriplegia.
- Don't refer to groups as a disability. Use people with cystic fibrosis or people who have cancer.
- Use the word accessible to refer to accommodations for people who have a disability. For example, replace disabled or handicapped parking space or playground with accessible parking space or playground.
Avoid negative labeling and condescending euphemisms
- Saying afflicted with, crippled with, victim of or suffers from devalues individuals with disabilities by portraying them as helpless objects of pity and charity. These types of words or phrases should not be used in grant applications.
- Don't use emotional descriptors such as unfortunate or pitiful. Use phrases such as individual with AIDS instead of a person who suffers from AIDSSandal Women's Lucky Flat Light Hulumi Gold qwtWU4Px.
- Don't use euphemisms to describe disabilities. Terms such as Style Height Women's 11CM Sandal Casual Heel with Girl Black Shoes High Cool Heeled Dress Boots Thin Hollow handicapable, differently-abled, special, and challenged reinforce the idea that people cannot deal honestly with their disabilities.
Don't imply disease when discussing disabilities
Don't refer to individuals with disabilities as patients or cases unless their relationship with their doctor is under discussion, or if they are referenced in the context of a hospital or clinical setting.
Emphasize abilities, not limitations
For example, say our clients use a wheelchair instead of are confined to wheelchairs or wheelchair-bound.
Style Height Girl Women's Sandal Dress Boots Heeled Thin Shoes Cool Hollow 11CM Casual Black with Heel High Source
Access the full document from which this was adapted: Ficke Womens patent Vittadini black crinkle Adrienne UH1wqU.
Other valuable resources regarding disability are also available on the Research and Training Center on Independent Living at the University of Kansas website. (See "Bestsellers" or "Media".)
Related pagesCapezio FF01 Shoe Freeform Women's Ballet Caramel RBZRwPqr
- Quality of Life grant application process
- Quality of Life Grants Program overview
- Past Quality of Life grantees
- Guide to establishing evaluation indicators
- High Impact Innovative Assistive Technology Quality of Life Grants
- Respite Care Grants